Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Disclaimers and Clarifications

Reed Tucker, a columnist for the New York Post, acknowledged the proliferation of the male sexual organ in big screen comedies in a recent article, "Flash in the Pants.” Tucker declared Ken Jeong to be the newest member of the “rod squad” for flaunting his “family jewels" in the summer comedy hit The Hangover. The film also includes a scene where Zach Galifianakis has his pants down while receiving oral stimulation from an elderly hotel maid, but Galifianakis admitted in interviews that the penis in the scene was a prosthetic. I'm sorry, a prosthetic penis does not get you into this exclusive club.

I mention this article only because Tucker pointed out that this trend started with Sideways (2004), in which M. C. Gainey interrupts sex with his wife to chase after an intruder and ends up chasing a car down a neighborhood street with his penis dangling in the wind. I am embarrassed that I failed to mention Sideways in my own recent dissertation on the comedy penis. Sideways is one of the best comedies of the last ten years and I do not know how I could have overlooked it. Maybe, I was so traumatized by Gainey's penis that I blocked it out of my mind . In any case, I stand corrected.

No comments:

Post a Comment