Monday, June 14, 2021

Images from Blue Angel (1930)


I had to make screen captures of The Blue Angel (1930) for an upcoming article, but I ended up with more images than I needed.  So, I figured to share those extra images here.

I will explain the plot for those unfamiliar with film.  I should warn you, though, the images contain spoilers.  


A teacher, Immanuel Rath (Emil Jannings), becomes slavishly devoted to his cabaret star wife, Lola Lola (Marlene Dietrich).  





Rath works as a clown while touring in  a low-rent show with Lola.  While the former educator is performing an undignified comic act on stage, he glimpses his wife offstage kissing the show's strongman.  This is the last humiliation that he is able to bear.  Unable to control his rage, he chases his wife into her dressing room and attempts to strangle her to death.  He is subdued by other men before he can finish the deed. 











No comments:

Post a Comment